Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Ironing with Friends

My friend called me up a few weeks ago and said, "I haven't seen you in over two weeks!"  With being busy with schooling and housework, I wasn't fitting in much else in the week, but I did want to get together with my friends.  So, we decided to get together and do our ironing.  That way we could be productive and still visit with each other ; )
We let the children take some pictures for us.  They were happy to play (many pictures of the children making funny faces at the camera), while us Mommas did our ironing and gabbed.
We've been meeting to iron for four weeks now.  We gather at one of our houses with ironing boards, irons, and our stack of clothes.   We all bring a little something for lunch.  We get to visit and the children get to play.  My friend hosted the ironing day this week.  We had lunch together, finished up our ironing, and when the little people started getting cranky we brought them home for nap time.  
It's the perfect way for us busy moms to maintain a social life while balancing the roles of  housekeeper, cook, maid, grocer, washerwoman, teacher, mother, and wife....
My friend discovered this label on the underside of her ironing board.  We all thought it was pretty neat.  Made right here in Maine.  From the outfit and shoes the lady is wearing, I'd say it's an ironing board from the 20's or early 30's?

9 comments:

simplicityinthemaking said...

That is neat. Anytime you want to come up here in Ontario and share the passion, please come! I have two weeks worth upstairs right now.

Kyndra said...

Sounds like fun! I miss having work frolics, at our old church we used to get together and clean one another's houses or catch up on projects or mending once a month or so. K

Rebecca said...

Wonderful! I can attest to the value of get-the-work-done socializing. Margo and I did it for years; fellowship plus an empty ironing basket (or pile of mended jeans or dresses cut out) equals real satisfaction.

AuntLou said...

Oh, my, soul! Your great grandmother, Grace used to wear dresses like that! Ironing together -- a twist on sewing circles? Cool. :)

Bethany Lynn said...

This is so inspiring, Eva! Thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

Now this is delightful ~ wish I could've joined you! Productive and practical fun!

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Eva Girl , what a wonderful way to visit with friends, and get the days work done. And the children , all get to have fun, while their mamas are getting the work done.. A fun all way around day.. I really hate the chore of ironing, and this would definitely , make it more fun!!
Love the sticker your friend found on the ironing board.. thankyou for sharing.

Katie said...

Did a little post on ironing today and linked to this ~ hope that is ok! =)

Eva Girl said...

That's fine : ) Thanks for the link!

Related Posts with Thumbnails