Thursday, March 31, 2011

Reproduction: Geometric Print Dress

Finally some outdoor pictures!  It was a breezy day and warm enough to go out and enjoy the sunshine!  So, here's my reproduction of Olivia's geometric print dress from The Waltons.  
You can see Olivia's dress HERE.
I found this buckle at a thrift store.  I'm keeping my eye's out for more simple little buckles to go with the dresses I make.  I may just get the belt kits too.  
The only thing I'm not sure I like about this dress is the print of the fabric.  It's the closest I've been able to find that compares to the print Olivia's dress was made out of....so, this is what I got.  I hope it has the same 'look' at least from a distance : )
My little man loves to play outside : )   When he saw me out the window, he rushed to get his boots on and brought me his jacket, "I need to be zipped!"  he said.
I think I have the collar pretty close to the right shape, I just need to add 1 inch in the length so that there's not such a wide gap in the front.
The dress itself fits well and is very comfortable.  I'm not sure if I like the 1/2 sleeves or not.  Would they look better shorter?  I did them 1/2 length because that's how Olivia's dress was, but they might look better shorter.


14 comments:

Tracy said...

You continually amaze me. I like the print. I like the 1/2 sleeves, I like it all! Great job!

Mary R. said...

I think the sleeves are fine -- warmer. The dress looks nice.

Heritage Farmgirl said...

I like the sleeves, but it what you are comfortable in. You did a great job of reproducing the print from the Olivia dress.

yesterday you asked me if I finishing the boarder on my sewingroom. I did this winter. here is the post.

http://heritagefarmgirl.blogspot.com/2010/12/purchases-and-painting.html

Marlyn

Debi said...

Very pretty dress! I am loving the fabric!!

Bethany Lynn said...

I like it! The sleeves look nice and I think the fabric is pretty also. I suppose another dress is in order to see if you might like this style with sleeves that are a bit shorter? Another dress is always nice :D

Lisa said...

I think it looks lovely! You did a great job!

Vintage Girl said...

Oh, I am loving this dress. You did a wonderful job with it! the print is soo pretty!

Amelia said...

Love the dress, very Olivia-like, great job as always! Where did you find the shoes? I have some similar in pink, would love to have some in the black one day.

Eva Girl said...

I found these at the Family Dollar in town here last Summer...so, that really doesn't help you. But they say *Skechers* on the strap.

Sherry from Alabama said...

A great job on another beautiful dress! I love the length of the sleeves and the fabric print too. It's perfect, as is. It's so sweet that your little boy wanted to join you outside. And he even remembered to grab a jacket. I'm impressed!

Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

Antonia said...

I've just started following your blog and I'm loving your style! The dress is great, I love the sleeve length, you're beginning to inspire me to dig out the sewing machine and it's been a long time since that happened!

Sew Blessed Maw said...

I just love this dress. I watched the Waltons show today.. And it was the show ,that she wore this dress.Your dress really looked like it. I so love all of Olivia's dresses.where do you find pictures of Olivia in her dresses.Would love to be able to look at the photos and see if I can similate some of them.. thanks for sharing.Judy

Eva Girl said...

I haven't been able to find many pictures on the internet. A friend of mine who has the shows on DVD has taken pictures for me. That's been a great way to see the dresses better. Now that I have those pictures, I'll be uploading them on here as I make reproductions of them...and then they'll be on the web for everyone to see : )

Katie said...

This is an awesome replica!!! Lovely work!

Related Posts with Thumbnails