Monday, February 7, 2011

Olivia's Tan and Cream Calico House Dress



This is the next dress I'm going to try to make.  I've been working on drafting a pattern.  I have a blouse pattern that has the basic bodice so with a few adjustments and the drafting of the skirt, collar, sleeves, and pockets I should have another Olivia dress reproduction : )  I found some tan and cream print calico at Marden's that I think is pretty close!  The collar is always the hardest for me.  It's hard to get the right width, length, curve, etc.   I think it's something that will come as I work with many different collars and get a feel for how all the shapes and styles work.
Hopefully I'll have a new dress to show you later this week!


6 comments:

Valerie said...

I love Mardens! Good luck on your dress.

Heritage Farmgirl said...

I think this is fantastic that you have the time and know how on how to draft your own patterns. When i was younger, slimmer and less hectic a life I drafted my own patterns too. Now I put the top to one onto the bottom of another. I LOVE Kwik.sew patterns because the pieces all fit together well when mix and matching.

Simply Be... said...

Hello Eva, I just found your blog am enjoying it very much!
I see that you wear a headcovering and wondered if it is for spiritual reasons?
It looks lovely with the modest dresses you make.
joy in Christ..Trish

Tracy said...

I first found you through Margo's Shoestring Chic, and I'm ever so glad that I did. You are a very talented woman with a real eye for fashion. I, too, enjoy the house dresses from the past, and your sketches and study of them are fascinating! I've shared your site with my oldest daughter, and she was also impressed. Keep up the great work!

Sherry from Alabama said...

I'm in awe of someone that can draft their own patterns or make big changes to patterns they already have. I've been sewing for years but I'm a chicken when it comes to making changes. I go right by the book or pattern.

Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

Eva Girl said...

Hello Trish,
I wear a covering because I believe that is what the 1 Corinthians 11 passage is asking women to do. I wear mine all day so that I can pray or share the gospel no matter were I am or what else I'm doing.
I like this verse: "For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels" 1 Cor 11:10 I've heard a lot of ideas on what that means, but for me I'm reminded that there's a vast spiritual world right around me that is bigger then just what we see and hear, yet I am a child of God, and as such, I am in His care and part of His plan for the world.
Thank you for asking : )
Feel free to e-mail me with any more questions you may have.
~Eva

Related Posts with Thumbnails